Monday 7 September 2015

My 18th Month Doesn't Talk Yet - Update

It has been about 2 weeks since since Chapati's assessment at Articulice Speech Centre with Yean Ching. I am really happy to update that he is now making a lot more variety of noises. Best-est part is he can say Mama and Papa!!!! (Soooo happy!) His articulation is very clear, so it wasn't a mistake! Since then he has said it quite a few times already.

Following Yean Ching's recommendation, we have tried to do the following over the last two weeks.
  1. Make him eat more chunky, chewy food where possible
  2. Face massage - at least once a day when brushing his teeth before sleeping
  3. Hubby bought him a proper mini harmonica last week (RM 7.40) - a toy that he has to put to his mouth and blow to encourage him not to be afraid to explore
On the food part, we still have some way to go to encourage him to chew. A lot of times, I notice that he swallows or waits for it to kind of dissolve. I can't really tell because he seems so polite keeping his mouth closed, but I do notice some jaw movement. So I have decided to show him...I put food in my mouth and make deliberate chewing actions before swallowing. I also encouraged Mum-in-law (MIL) to let him eat whatever food they have cooked for themselves instead of cooking special porridge for him. Will check on MIL later this week and see how.

With face massage, it is touch and go most days. He doth protests a lot...so I try to tell him what I am doing and be as gentle as possible. At least now he sticks his tongue out when I tell him that I need to clean his tongue and he tries to keep quiet when I wipe his gums and pull out his cheeks a little. Sometimes, I do admit that it is difficult to be gentle when you have a struggling toddler to hold down. I think I will have to ask Yean Ching for some advice when doing this massage and brushing teeth thingy.

The harmonica however was a success! He liked it straight away and when we showed him how to play it, he put it to his lips and blew into it. It took him a few tries to get the sound out but now he likes playing with it and would make "music" with it. 


Here is a video of him making music! I am a proud Mama!



Happy Monday everyone!


8 comments:

  1. Hi Can you please share with me Articulice's contact number? I couldn't reach them with their number listed on facebook 014-328 6009. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shuyun, that is the correct number that I contacted them at. Maybe you could leave them a PM on FB or send them a message on that number? Do let me know if you still can't contact them and I will help you. Take care!

      Delete
  2. I tried a few times with the number but to no avail. I had left them a message on FB too since 7/9. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shuyun, I was just wondering if you managed to get in touch with them? Hope all is well. Have a wonderful week

      Delete
  3. Ya finally they gave me a call back. I am going to send my son for screening next week. Hoping to enroll in a group therapy. How's your son doing now? I hope he's speaking a lot more by now. I don't get notification when you posted your reply. I just thought about your blog after articulice contacted me.. haha.. you really left me a message here. Who knows we might bump into each other in the centre one day.. thanks and take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I am glad that they actually got back to you. Hey let's connect on FB. Do send me your email address at themummynotebook@gmail.com and maybe we can share a little of what we are both going through together! You take care too and looking forward to connect with you!

      Delete
  4. Hi, was wondering if we could connect via fb to exchange some notes on speech therapy? My son's situation is very similar to what you described in your posts, except he is much older than chapati (2.5 years).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fay! I would be more than happy to share and exchange notes with you. Please feel free to connect with me on themummynotebook@gmail.com and I will pass you my contact details. I am also happy to meet with you at any time. Looking forward to speaking to you soon.

      Delete